Boston

A California man who threatened to kill employees of The Boston Globe after the newspaper called on media organizations nationwide to denounce President Trump’s attacks on the media has pleaded guilty.

Federal prosecutors in Boston say 68-year-old Robert Chain, of Los Angeles, pleaded guilty Wednesday to seven counts of making threatening communications in interstate commerce. He faces five years in prison per count at sentencing scheduled for Sept. 23.

Neither Chain nor his attorney spoke when they left court. His attorney, William Weinreb, previously said Chain took “full responsibility” for his actions.

Chain was arrested in August after authorities say he made a series of calls threatening the lives of Globe staff in retaliation for its coordinated editorial response to Trump’s frequent attacks on the news media.

Source: Fox News National

Authorities have charged a prominent Massachusetts doctor with driving drunk, striking three pedestrians in a crosswalk and then leaving the scene.

Dr. Michael Watkins, a vascular surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital, was released on $1,500 bail after pleading not guilty Tuesday to charges including assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon and operating under the influence.

Prosecutors say the 64-year-old Watkins struck the victims just before midnight Friday in Boston’s South End. One victim told police the driver stopped, honked his horn and then accelerated, hitting the pedestrians. They are all expected to survive.

Watkins’ attorney said in court that his client was not beeping at the pedestrians, but at another car blocking the crosswalk and his blood-alcohol measurement was barely above the legal limit to drive.

Source: Fox News National

Jurors will head back to court to continue deliberating in the case against a wealthy drug company founder accused of directing a scheme to bribe doctors to prescribe a powerful opioid.

Jurors will begin their 12th day of deliberations on Monday in the case against Insys Therapeutics Founder John Kapoor and four other former executives of the Chandler, Arizona-based company.

They are accused of conspiring to bribe doctors to boost sales for a highly addictive fentanyl spray meant for cancer patients with severe pain.

All of them have denied wrongdoing.

Two other former high-level Insys executives pleaded guilty in the case and testified against Kapoor.

Jurors haven’t asked the judge any questions since they began deliberating on April 8. The trial began in January.

Source: Fox News National

A death certificate confirms that notorious Boston crime boss James “Whitey” Bulger died of blunt force injuries to the head in prison last year.

The document obtained by NBC Boston says the 89-year-old Bulger was “assaulted by other(s)” and was found in his cell at 8:21 a.m. Oct. 30.

Bulger was serving a life sentence for 11 murders and other crimes when he was beaten to death in his prison cell, hours after he was transferred to a West Virginia prison.

Bulger became one of the nation’s most-wanted fugitives after fleeing Boston in late 1994. He was captured in 2011.

No charges have been filed in Bulger’s death, but officials have said two Massachusetts mobsters are under suspicion in his killing.

Source: Fox News National

A Los Angeles man charged with making a series of phone calls threatening to kill journalists at The Boston Globe will plead guilty.

Robert Chain’s lawyer said Monday that Chain plans to plead guilty to all counts against him and “take full responsibility for his actions.” Attorney William Weinreb said in an email that Chain is “anxious to make a full, public apology.”

Chain was arrested in August after authorities say he made the threats in retaliation for the Globe’s coordination of a series of editorials condemning President Donald Trump’s attacks on the press.

In some calls, authorities say Chain called Globe employees the “enemy of the people,” a characterization of journalists that Trump has used repeatedly.

A plea hearing has been scheduled for May 15.

Source: Fox News National

Prosecutors are seeking three years in prison for a Massachusetts man who admitted to sending threatening letters filled with white powder to President Donald Trump’s sons and others.

Daniel Frisiello is set to be sentenced Friday in Boston federal court. He pleaded guilty in October.

The letter Frisiello sent to Donald Trump Jr. was opened last year by his now-ex-wife, Vanessa. She was briefly hospitalized as a precaution after she reported feeling ill. The substance turned out to be nonhazardous.

Other recipients of Frisiello’s letters included Democratic U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow of Michigan.

Frisiello’s lawyer is seeking five years of probation, including one year of home confinement. His lawyer says the 25-year-old has developmental delays, is autistic and would be susceptible to “exploitation, violence and isolation” in prison.

Source: Fox News National

Attorneys for the late Aaron Hernandez are asking Massachusetts’ highest court to reverse its decision to reinstate the former New England Patriot’s murder conviction.

The lawyers say in documents filed Friday that the Supreme Judicial Court got it wrong when it ordered last month that Hernandez’s conviction be restored.

Hernandez was found guilty in 2015 of killing semi-professional football player Odin Lloyd.

The Supreme Judicial Court’s decision did away with the legal principle that erased Hernandez’s conviction after the 27-year-old killed himself in his prison cell in 2017.

The court said convictions in such cases will now stand. It applied the new rule to Hernandez’s case, but no other prior cases.

Hernandez’s lawyers say the new rule should impact only future cases, not Hernandez’s.

Source: Fox News National

The wrongful death lawsuit brought against the Massachusetts woman convicted of sending her suicidal boyfriend a series of text messages urging him to kill himself has been resolved.

Michelle Carter was convicted in 2017 of involuntary manslaughter in the 2014 death of 18-year-old Conrad Roy III. The 22-year-old woman, who was 17 at the time of Roy’s death, began serving a 15-month sentence in February.

Eric Goldman, an attorney for Roy’s mother, told the Boston Herald the case has been “resolved” but declined to provide details.

Carter’s attorneys also refused comment.

Roy killed himself by filling his pickup truck with carbon monoxide in a Fairhaven, Massachusetts, parking lot. When he had second thoughts about killing himself, Carter texted him to “get back in” the truck.

___

Information from: Boston Herald, http://www.bostonherald.com

Source: Fox News National

A Rhode Island man charged with kidnapping a Boston woman from her birthday celebration whose body was later found in the trunk of his car has pleaded not guilty.

Louis Coleman III appeared Tuesday in U.S. District Court to face a charge of kidnapping resulting in death, which carries a possible death sentence if he is convicted. He continues to be held without bail.

Authorities say the 32-year-old Coleman kidnapped Jassy Correia on Feb. 24 from outside a Boston nightclub where she had been celebrating her 23rd birthday. Police say he was later captured on surveillance video carrying her body into his Providence apartment.

Coleman was stopped in Delaware four days later with Correia’s body in the trunk.

His attorney, David Hoose, said outside court he’d “rather not comment.”

Source: Fox News National

Massachusetts education officials have decided on the unusual step of not scoring 10th grade students on a statewide exam question that some considered racially insensitive.

The Boston Globe reports that the essay question on the Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System exam was based on a passage from the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel “The Underground Railroad.” Students were asked to write an essay from the perspective of a white woman who’s conflicted about helping an escaped slave and uses derogatory language toward her.

Students complained that they were put in the uncomfortable position of either using racist language or sacrificing historical accuracy. The Massachusetts Teachers Association objected to the MCAS question. The organization says answering it could be especially traumatic for African American students.

State Education Commissioner Jeffrey Riley says the question was intended to challenge students, but he fully understands the concerns.

Source: Fox News National


Current track

Title

Artist