Local government officials in California attending a Saturday seminar at an upscale resort ended up involved in a wild brawl that led to at least one person being knocked unconscious, witnesses and authorities said.
At least seven people – including elected officials from Los Angeles – appeared to be in the melee at the Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa, witnesses told the Los Angeles Times. The seven were “involved in an altercation and physical battery, the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department told the paper.
The officials were meeting at a California Contract Cities Assn. seminar, which holds meetings on how to tackle public crises.
“It was a hectic scene,” one witness told the Los Angeles Times.
It wasn’t clear who started the fight — or why — but it involved members of the Commerce City Council and other public officials, according to Commerce Mayor John Soria. Police attempted to identify those involved in the fight but were repeatedly stonewalled by uncooperative participants, according to the Los Angeles Times.
“I want to be clear in condemning the violent behavior from the individuals who initiated these assaults,” Soria said in a statement. “Once additional information is available, I intend to call on my council colleagues to take appropriate action regarding any individuals that represent the City of Commerce who were involved in the incident.”
Soria said he was told City of Commerce Councilman Leonard Mendoza and colleague Ivan Altamirano were having a heated conversation and, when he approached, Mendoza was on the floor and Altamirano had suffered a “facial injury.” Soria then said he and Altamirano were attacked “from behind.”
Mendoza told the Los Angeles Times he and Altamirano were arguing before he was struck in the head. He said the next thing he knew, he was in the hospital.
“It must’ve been one of those things where I got knocked out with one punch,” he told the newspaper, adding he wasn’t sure who struck him.
Photos on social media appeared to show Mendoza on the ground.
None of the assailants were identified and it’s unclear whether charges were filed or if authorities plan to file any charges.
Source: Fox News National
A 71-year-old woman emerged mostly unscathed Sunday night after a pickup truck plowed into her Illinois home while she slept and pinned her beneath the vehicle, police said.
Talon C. Franz was allegedly traveling at a high rate of speed when he crashed his 2009 GMC pickup into the woman’s Spring Grove house, the Lake County Sherriff’s Office said.
The woman, who was not identified, had been sleeping at the time of the crash and miraculously only suffered non-life threatening injuries, the Chicago Tribune reported. A dog and two cats, however, were reported missing from the woman’s home, police said.
Franz struck a Volkswagen and a telephone pole before slamming into the home, according to authorities, who added that he fled the scene after the accident.
He was charged with leaving the scene of a personal injury traffic crash, reckless driving, failure to report a traffic crash, improper lane usage, failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident and operating an uninsured motor vehicle, according to the Chicago Tribune.
Franz was being held at the Lake County Jail in lieu of $75,000 bond.
Source: Fox News National
China is fighting back against the U.S. in the trade war to “protect its legitimate rights and interests,” state media said in a scathing editorial Tuesday.
According to the editorial posted on the Xinhua News Agency, the trade war between China and the U.S. was dubbed a “people’s war.” The U.S. slapped China with $200 billion in tariffs after failed trade talks last week, while China retaliated with $60 billion in retaliatory tariffs over their own.
“The trade war in the United States is the creation of one person and his administration who have swept along the entire population of the country. Whereas the entire country and all the people of China are being threatened. For us, this is a real ‘people’s war,’” the editorial read.
The ruling Communist Party’s official People’s Daily, the country’s top newspaper, also urged the U.S. to “give it a rest” when it comes to complaints over a trade deficit with Beijing. The paper said China wasn’t to blame for the trade deficit and that U.S. companies were largely profitable in China.
“U.S. consumers, farmers, businesses and so on have become the victims of the trade frictions provoked by the United States. They are not victims of China’s ‘unfair competition,’” the editorial read.
And while Chinese media ramped up aggressive rhetoric over the trade war, China’s top diplomat remained optimistic that a deal would get done between the two countries, according to Reuters.
China’s State Councilor Wang Yi said China and the U.S. both have the “ability and wisdom” to reach a fair trade deal that would be good for both sides.
“We believe that as long as these negotiations are in line with China’s general direction of reform and opening up, in line with China’s fundamental need for high-quality development, and in line with the common and long-term interests of the Chinese and American peoples, both countries’ negotiating teams have the ability and wisdom to resolve each other’s reasonable demands, and in the end reach a mutually beneficial, win-win agreement,” he said.
Meanwhile, shares declined moderately in Asia on Tuesday after a Wall Street meltdown Monday. The Shanghai Composite index slipped 0.2 percent while Japan’s Nikkei gave up 0.6 percent. The Hang Seng index in Hong Kong slipped 1.5 percent.
The Dow in the U.S. at one point dropped 719 points and finished down 2.4 percent for the day. The S&P 500 lost 2.4 percent, while the NASDAQ slid 3.4 percent.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Source: Fox News World
North Korea on Tuesday demanded the U.S. returned a cargo ship used to transport that was seized in violation of international sanctions against the rogue regime, calling it a “robbery.”
An unnamed North Korea foreign ministry spokesman accused the U.S. betraying the spirit of last year’s summit agreement between President Trump and Kim Jong Un, according to the country’s official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).
During their first meeting, Trump and Kim agreed to a vague statement calling for a nuclear-free Korean Peninsula and improved ties. A second meeting between the two leaders collapsed in February over demands about sanctions relief and nuclear disbarment.
The 17,061-ton vessel, called the Wise Honest, is one of North Korea’s largest bulk carriers used to illicitly ship coal from North Korea and deliver heavy machinery to the country, officials said. U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman said this is the first time a North Korean cargo ship was seized for violating international sanctions.
The seizure came on the heels of North Korea conducting weapons tests. South Korea’s military said there two launches from the nearby town of Kusong.
“The U.N. Security Council resolutions the United States mentioned as one of the reasons for robbing our trade vessel equate to a violent infringement of the sovereignty of our country and we have been entirely rejecting them,” a KCNA statement read. “The United States should carefully consider what kind of consequences their daylight robbery could bring to the political situation and should send back our vessel without hesitation.”
North Korea is banned from exporting coal under U.N. sanctioned that were toughened in 2017 to punish the Hermit Kingdom over its weapons testing that year. Experts believe coal and other mineral exports help finance the North’s weapons industry.
The cargo ship arrived in American Samoa on Monday.
Fox News’ Katherine Lam and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
Source: Fox News World
Former Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and a top immigration official challenged a previously secret White House plan to arrest thousands of migrant parents and children in nearly a dozen U.S. cities, Fox News confirmed Monday.
The Trump administration wanted to target migrant families that had crossed into the U.S. from Mexico in attempt to show that the U.S. wasn’t going to back down on its border stance and detain and deport illegal immigrant families, The Washington Post first reported, citing several current and former Homeland Security officials.
The operation included fast-tracking immigration court cases and allowing the U.S. to deport those who failed to show up in their hearings as well as coordinating raids against parents with children in several cities, including New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and several other major metropolitan areas, Fox News confirmed.
Nielsen and top immigration official Ronald Vitiello pushed back on the administration’s plan, citing lack of preparation, public outrage and worries that the operation could use border resources. Stephen Miller and ICE Deputy Director Matthew Albence were supportive of the plan arguing that such an operation could deter migrants from crossing into the U.S., according to The Washington Post.
Nielsen and Vitello’s were concerned over the operation and logistics over the plan and not the ethical reasons behind it, according to the newspaper. Nielsen also worried that going after parents and children might detract from the White House’s goal of going after so-called “criminal aliens.”
“There was concern that it was being hastily put together, would be ineffective and might actually backfire by misdirecting resources away from critical border emergency response operations,” a Homeland Security official told The Washington Post.
Nielsen and Vitello’s push back was reportedly part of the reason why Trump pushed both officials out of the administration.
Neither Homeland Security nor the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement have commented on the report. Miller, through a White House spokesman, declined comment to The Post.
Nielsen left her position after only 16 months on the job. The Associated Press, citing two sources, reported that Nielsen had been frustrated with the difficulty of getting other departments to help deal with the growing number of families crossing the southwestern border.
Fox News’ John Roberts and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
Source: Fox News Politics
Two people were arrested and four children were removed from a Kentucky home after police discovered the house was infested with cockroaches, officials said.
Sean Landrey, 38, and Jessica Downs, 31, were charged with second-degree criminal abuse and endangering the welfare of a minor after they were arrested Thursday.
The pair was arrested after police responded to a welfare check request from a school when a 7-year-old girl arrived to class with her lip cut, according to WLKY-TV. Police arrived at the Louisville home and discovered cockroaches, cockroach feces and bedbugs on the furniture, the station reported.
In one room, police found 4- and 5-year old were sharing a small bed and a 7-year-old child had a bed that was filled with dead and living cockroaches, according to WLKY-TV. The children reportedly told officers the bugs “crawl on them and bite them” while they sleep.
A 2-year-old’s crib was found in the pair’s bedroom and police said it had scores of baby roaches on it, according to the station. A cockroach was reportedly underneath the child’s head when they removed it from the crib.
“Officers observed hundreds of baby cockroaches in the crib along with their feces and bedbugs,” police said, according to a citation obtained by the Lexington Herald. “Officers believed that the feces were in the amount of thousand plus.”
Landrey is reportedly the biological father of one of the children and the caretaker of the other three. The children were sent to live with the grandmother, according to WLKY-TV.
The complaint was “very, very disturbing,” a Jefferson County judge told Landrey and Downs, according to the Lexington Herald.
The couple was being held at Metro Corrections on $10,000 bonds.
Source: Fox News National
A Florida mother is accused of throwing her baby against a wooden fence in a fit of rage because the child wouldn’t stand up, police said.
Natalee Sesler, 25, of New Port Richey, is also accused of throwing a metal rake at her 10-month-old child, police said. She was charged with child abuse, child neglect, aggravated assault, resisting a police officer without violence and violating probation, according to WTSP-TV.
Sesler was visiting a man in the area when she allegedly threw the child into the fence. She had tossed the rake at the child as well but missed, according to the station. She then reportedly picked up the baby by the leg and threw him into a chair.
Shannon Wixon was outside with her daughter when they saw the incident.
“They came running into the house and they told me, ‘There’s a lady over here that just threw her baby against the wall,’” Wixon told FOX 13 News.
Wixon saw the horrifying scene unfold.
“I came out and looked behind the fence of apartment one, and that’s when I’d seen the lady sitting there and her child was laying over a lawn chair, hanging upside down pretty much, screaming, crying,” Wixon said. “She was just sitting there not doing anything.”
Wixon added that Sesler shook the baby once more and “took off walking.”
Sesler was arrested attempting to board a nearby bus before she was arrested, according to FOX 13 News.
The baby suffered a small bruise and swelling near one eye and was taken to the hospital for tests before being turned over to other family members, according to police.
Police said drugs may have played a role in the incident.
Source: Fox News National
A U.S. Navy fleet sent to the Persian Gulf to ward off a potential threat to American commercial interests represents a target instead of a serious threat, a senior Iranian Revolutionary Guards commander said Sunday.
The Pentagon on Friday announced plans to send the USS Arlington and the Patriot missile battery to the Middle East in an effort to deter actions from Iran. The maneuver came after national security adviser John Bolton said the U.S. was sending the USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group and a bomber task force to the U.S. Central Command region, which includes the Middle East.
“An aircraft carrier that has at least 40 to 50 planes on it and 6,000 forces gathered within it was a serious threat for us in the past but now it is a target and the threats have switched to opportunities,” said Amirali Hajizadeh, the head of the IRG’s aerospace division, according to Iranian media.
Haijizadeh added: “If [the Americans] make a move, we will hit them in the head.”
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told CNBC the move to deploy a U.S. military team in the Gulf came in response to intelligence reporters about possible Iranian attacks.
“We’ve seen this reporting,” Pompeo said. “It’s real. It appears to be something that is current, that is things we’re worried about today.”
Pompeo added: “In the event that Iran decided to come after an American interest – whether that be in Iraq or Afghanistan or Yemen or any place in the Middle East – we are prepared to respond in an appropriate way … our aim is not war.”
Iranian naval commander Rear Admiral Hossien Khanzadi demanded the U.S. leave the region, Reuters reported, citing the Iranian media.
An Iranian cleric warned last week that Iran could easily destroy a U.S. naval fleet.
“Their billion[-dollar] fleet can be destroyed with one missile,” Ayatollah Tabatabai-Nejad said.
“If they attempt any move, they will … [face] dozens of missiles because at that time [government] officials won’t be in charge to act cautiously, but instead things will be in the hands of [Ayatollah Ali Khamenei],” he warned.
The heated rhetoric has capped a multiyear standoff over the rogue nation’s nuclear program. President Trump’s administration angered the regime when he withdrew from an Obama-era nuclear deal granting Iran sanctions relief in exchange for limited monitoring accommodations.
Fox News’ Sam Dorman and Elizabeth Zwirz contributed to this report.
Source: Fox News World
Bears, beets and … the GOP?
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., compared the Republican Party to one of the most well-known television characters over the last decade: Dwight Schrute from NBC’s “The Office.”
Ocasio-Cortez likened the GOP to the character because the party has a “technique” to take “dry humor” and “sarcasm” literally and fact check it, she tweeted Sunday.
“This is a technique of the GOP, to take dry humor + sarcasm literally and ‘fact check” it,’ the freshman Congresswoman tweeted. Like the ‘world ending in 12 years’ thing, you’d have to have the social intelligence of a sea sponge to think it’s literal. But the GOP is basically Dwight from The Office so who knows.”
The comparison came in response to criticism for her explanation about taxing the rich.
“When we say ‘tax the rich,’ we mean nesting-doll yacht rich. For-profit prison rich. Betsy DeVos, student-loan-shark rich,” she tweeted, adding “Because THAT kind of rich is simply not good for society, & it’s like 10 people.”
Source: Fox News Politics
A 62-year-old man wanted in a serious of sexual assaults involving several young female victims in the 1990s turned himself in to Oregon police Friday, officials said.
Wayne Arthur Silsbee turned himself into the Oregon City Police Department, the FBI announced. He faces charges of first-degree sodomy, first-degree sexual abuse, endangering the welfare of a minor and first-degree unlawful sexual penetration, according to a Clackamas County arrest warrant issued on July 24, 1996, officials said. The victims were between the ages of 8 and 10 at the time.
The FBI said it issued an arrest warrant on Sept. 19, 1996, charging Silsbee with unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.
Officials said Silsbee was acquainted with each of the victims, having either babysat them or taking them to some kind of event.
He is expected to make his first court appearance Monday.
Authorities have asked anyone who may have had contact with Silsbee over the last 23 years to contact the Oregon City tip line at 503-496-1616.
Source: Fox News National