fox-news/us/us-regions/west/california

A precious item was reportedly swiped from a California couple’s residence over the weekend – their baby daughter’s ashes.

Kelly and Elliot Smith had other items taken from their home as well after the break-in on Sunday, but their primary concern is the box that holds their daughter’s remains, Kelly told Fox 40.

A precious item was reportedly stolen from a California couple’s home over the weekend – their baby daughter’s ashes.

A precious item was reportedly stolen from a California couple’s home over the weekend – their baby daughter’s ashes. (Fox 40)

AIRPORT POLICE LOOKING FOR TRAVELER WHO LEFT CREMATED HUMAN REMAINS AT TSA CHECKPOINT IN ALASKA

“We don’t care about any of that,” Kelly said. “We just want our daughter back.”

The ashes are “all I have” of the baby girl named Enola who was born prematurely, Kelly told Fox 40.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

“She was five months early and she was passed, deceased,” she said.

The Smiths – who have each served overseas – reportedly realized what happened after returning from a trip and have since been trying to recover the significant item.

Source: Fox News National

Another Trump administration immigration control effort went before the critical eye of the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals on Wednesday — and appears likely to suffer a similar fate as previous government programs that the court’s judges have struck down.

Wednesday’s case before a three-judge panel examined the legality of the Department of Homeland Security’s Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP), an initiative announced in December to address what the feds called the “dramatically escalating burdens of unauthorized migration, which is causing irreparable harm.”

The idea: for Central American migrants who’ve crossed the U.S. border asking for asylum to be returned to Mexico temporarily. MPP was designed to provide relief to overburdened U.S. detention facilities by targeting people who were unlikely to make successful asylum claims.

Judge Paul Watford took issue with how the migrants have been processed and whether the government was giving them a fair opportunity to express their concerns about returning to Mexico – even if on a temporary basis.

“I don’t understand how that’s not arbitrary and capricious,” Watford said about current protocols which do not demand government border agents ask about fears migrants might have about staying in Mexico.

Judge Diarmuid O’Scannlain, a Reagan appointee who seemed favorably disposed to the government’s case, asked the lawyer representing migrants held in Mexico why her clients would rather be in detention in the United States than have freedom of movement in Mexico. “We don’t want to be in Mexico. We’d rather be in the United States,” Judy Rabinovitz of the ACLU replied.

Outside the courthouse after the hearing, Rabinovitz, who said she was cautiously optimistic for a favorable ruling, went on further to say, “we have… heard of people who are kidnapped and given death threats – didn’t matter – they were returned to Mexico.”

Judge William Fletcher criticized the government’s legal justification for the migrants it’s placed in Mexico under existing laws that appear to have given separate classifications for different types of asylum seekers.

“We’ve got dogs and cats who go to the pound but that doesn’t turn a dog into a cat or vice versa,” Fletcher, who was appointed by President Clinton, analogized. President Obama appointed Watford.

BORDER GROUP LEADER INJURED IN NEW MEXICO JAIL FIGHT

Earlier this month, a lower court judge determined the Trump administration’s policy violated existing federal law and failed to give adequate protection to migrants who feared for their safety in Mexico.

Judge Richard Seeborg issued a nationwide injunction immediately stopping immigration authorities from placing migrants in Mexico. President Trump blasted the decision, tweeting: “A 9th Circuit Judge just ruled that Mexico is too dangerous for migrants. So unfair to the U.S. OUT OF CONTROL!”

But, several days later, Seeborg’s injunction was stayed temporarily to allow each side to present Wednesday’s arguments. That prompted another presidential tweet, “Finally, great news at the Border!”

Over the past couple of years, the 9th Circuit has ruled against the Trump administration’s travel ban and attempt to end protections for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients. It also has ruled in favor of “sanctuary” laws giving protection to illegal immigrants.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The judges gave the packed third-floor courtroom no guidance on when a decision would be announced. The tenor of the arguments suggested the stay would be lifted but it wasn’t clear whether the underlying injunction would be preserved in full or modified in a way that would keep MPP in place under an altered state.

If the judges decide to reinstate the injunction, the government has asked for a one-week delay to file an emergency appeal with the Supreme Court.

Source: Fox News Politics

A California lawmaker recently proposed a bill that would put the decision to dole out a vaccine exemption in the hands of a state public health official – a move that has anti-vaccine supporters up in arms in a state that already has some of the toughest immunization laws in the country.

California state Sen. Richard Pan introduced late last month Senate Bill 276, which if approved would take the decision to grant vaccine exemptions out of the hands of doctors and put it under control of state health officials. Pan, who before turning to politics was a pediatrician, brought forth the legislation in response to reports that some doctors in the state are abusing their power and selling medical exemptions to parents.

“Medical exemptions have more than tripled since the passage of SB 277. Some schools are reporting that more than 20 percent of their students have a medical exemption,” Pan said in a statement. “It is clear that a small number of physicians are monetizing their exemption-granting authority and profiting from the sale of medical exemptions.”

Pan’s legislation also comes as the United States has seen a rise in the number of measles cases nationwide, with California being one of the hardest hit areas for the contagious, but preventable disease.

NYC MEASLES OUTBREAK: FIRST VACCINATION FINES, 4 MORE SCHOOLS SHUT DOWN

Health officials at the University of California, Davis Medical Center last month warned around 200 people about a potential exposure to the measles virus in its emergency room, and there are reports that travelers with measles have recently passed through Los Angeles International Airport – one of the nation’s busiest travel hubs.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Monday announced that measles outbreaks have continued to spike this year – putting 2019 on track to break a record for number of cases since it was declared eliminated in the U.S. back in 2000.

While Pan argues that the new measure would thwart fraud attempts by families and doctors, and keep communities in California safe from preventable diseases, anti-vaccine and pro-informed consent advocates have labeled the move “modern tyranny” and a move by California lawmakers to reach a 100 percent vaccination rate in the state.

A group of doctors, alternative healthcare practitioners and members of parental rights groups traveled on Wednesday to Sacramento to voice their anger and opposition to the bill, which was scheduled to be discussed in the Senate.

LAX TRAVELERS WARNED ABOUT POSSIBLE MEASLES EXPOSURE AGAIN 

“A law that prevents a doctor from using his professional judgement is immoral and dangerous,” Barbara Loe Fisher, the co-founder and president of the National Vaccine Information Center, told Fox News. “[Supporters of SB 276] are more concerned about achieving a 100 percent vaccination rate in California than they are about these children who are vulnerable of being injured or dying from a vaccine.”

Fisher did not attend the rally in Sacramento.

There have been cases in the past of children getting sick, and even dying, from being vaccinated, but according to public health records these cases are rare and for the vast majority of those immunized the only issues that arise – if any – are mild symptoms similar to the disease the vaccine is trying to prevent.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The CDC reported that a serious allergic reaction and infection related to a vaccine occurs in one out of every million doses administered.

SB 276 is not the first piece of legislation in California to try to bring up the state’s vaccination rate.

In 2015, the state passed SB 277 – another piece on legislation led by Pan – that did away with the personal belief exemption from a list of approved reasons not to immunize a child. It is now mandatory for a child to be vaccinated to attend school in the state and parents cannot rely on the argument of religious or philosophical convictions to not inoculate their children.

Source: Fox News Politics

California authorities on Wednesday released the name of the suspected driver accused of plowing a vehicle into eight people a day earlier.

Isaiah Joel Peoples, of Sunnyvale, Calif., was identified as the suspect by the Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety (DPS) on Twitter.

Peoples was allegedly behind the wheel of a black 2010 Toyota Corolla that rammed into the group and he is suspected of possibly doing so “intentionally,” officials said following the incident.

DRIVER PLOWS INTO GROUP OF PEOPLE IN CALIFORNIA, INJURING 8 BEFORE SMASHING INTO TREE, POLICE SAY

It occurred around 6:40 p.m. on Tuesday as the driver was heading west on El Camino Real towards the city of Mountain View, DPS said. After striking the group, the car continued for a few more yards before slamming into a tree near a shopping center.

Following this, Peoples was taken into custody.

“We don’t know the motive behind this,” Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety Capt. Jim Choi told Fox 2. “The driver might have intentionally ran into the group of people at the sidewalk. There was no attempt to break or steer away.”

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

The individuals struck by the vehicle were taken to the hospital, though their conditions were not made available.

Fox News’ Travis Fedschun and Brie Stimson contributed to this report.

Source: Fox News National

A woman from California visiting Hawaii was bitten by a shark on Tuesday after being knocked from her kayak as her husband watched from a standup paddleboard nearby.

The incident happened around 8:30 a.m. in Anaehoomalu Bay near Waikoloa on Hawaii island as Kimberly Bishop and her husband, Kim, were out on the water.

“The water was really clear so I could see in front of me,” Bishop told KHON. “There was nothing in front of me. We could see all the way down.”

But her morning on the water quickly turned into anything but peaceful when something bumped her kayak.

“Something came from behind knocked over the kayak and bit my leg,” Bishop told KHON.

LARGE TIGER SHARK CIRCLES, PULLS DOWN HUMAN BODY IN WATER OFF HAWAII ISLAND COAST, THWARTING RESCUE EFFORTS

Bishop then began to yell to her husband, who was about 100 feet away.

Shark warning signs have been posted on beaches near Waikoloa, Hawaii after a woman was bitten by a shark on Tuesday.

Shark warning signs have been posted on beaches near Waikoloa, Hawaii after a woman was bitten by a shark on Tuesday. (KHON)

“The first thing that I knew I heard her yell ‘shark, shark’ and I turned and she was in the water…I saw the fins in the water and I immediately paddled as fast as I could to get over to her,” he told KHON.

Her husband was about to get the 65-year-old back into her kayak and yelled out to some nearby people on a canoe for help. Bishop was eventually brought back to shore, and airlifted to a hospital, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported.

NORTH CAROLINA GIRL FINDS MEGALODON SHARK TOOTH BURIED ON BEACH: ‘IS THIS A DREAM?’

Officials from the Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources told KHON that Bishop may have been attacked by a 5-foot-long blacktip reef shark. The incident caused shark warning signs to be posted warning beachgoers to look out.

“The blacktip reef shark prefers shallow, inshore areas where it is less vulnerable to larger species of sharks in the open ocean,” according to the Maui Ocean Center, which notes that “very few incidents” involving blacktip reef sharks have been reported.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

Authorities are still investigating to determine what kind of shark bit Bishop. The couple, who live in California but have a home in Waikoloa, said the incident was frightening but not keeping them out of the water.

“Sharks live in the water,” she told KHON. “It’s their home and we understand that. I will go kayaking again.”

Source: Fox News National

It could have been worse — It could have been a Ferrari dealership.

A suspected drunk driver may end up with a hefty tab after slamming into a pricey California car dealership showroom and causing nearly $200,000 in damage, the showroom manager said.

The crash happened around 2 a.m. at the Century West BMW in North Hollywood, where the red Subaru sedan plowed through a floor-to-ceiling showroom window and sparked a fire.

“The fire was small, in general, but smoke charged inside the building and set the sprinklers off,” Los Angeles Fire Department Battalion Chief Thomas Gikas told KABC-TV. “Some vehicles were damaged.”

DRIVER PLOWS INTO GROUP OF PEOPLE IN CALIFORNIA, INJURING 8 BEFORE SMASHING INTO TREE, POLICE SAY

Two vehicles were damaged in the crash, including a BMW i8. The car, with a “spaceship design,” is worth around $150,000, according to Car and Driver magazine.

“Just looking, there’s a couple hundred thousand dollars in damage to the cars,” Showroom Manager Joe Deitrick told KNBC-TV. “The i8 is a very expensive car. They have carbon fiber bodies that have to be repaired a certain way.”

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

The driver, whose name was not released, was arrested on suspicion of DUI. No serious injuries were reported, and the crash was under investigation.

The Subaru was expected to be removed from the building my mid-Wednesday, KNBC reported.

Source: Fox News National

A driver deliberately drove into a crowd in the San Francisco Bay Area Tuesday night, injuring eight, California police said.

CALIFORNIA MAN ACCUSED OF ‘INTENTIONALLY’ BURNING PARTNER: POLICE

The incident occurred in Sunnyvale, which is southeast of San Francisco. The victims– which included a 13-year-old boy– were rushed to the hospital with unknown injuries, ABC 7 in San Francisco reported. Witnesses told police the driver, who has been arrested, showed no sign of attempting to stop, according to the local station.

The crash happened at an intersection near the West Sunnyvale Shopping Center.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Check back on this breaking story for updates.

Source: Fox News National

Authorities in California on Monday said they apprehended a man who they claim purposefully burned his partner, leaving her “severely injured.”

Richard R. Frederiksen, 48, was taken into custody following the encounter on Saturday that drew officers to a home in Roseville, the city’s police department said on Facebook Monday.

PARENTS ARRESTED IN CALIFORNIA AFTER TODDLER SONS FOUND IN CAGES

Police were called to the scene around 10:55 p.m., where they discovered the wounded woman, officials said.

“The initial investigation uncovered that the victim’s partner had intentionally burned the victim,” officials said. The woman sustained life-threatening injuries and was brought to the hospital. She “remains in critical condition.”

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

Frederiksen had allegedly abandoned the area but he was “eventually” found and apprehended, police said. He was located on Sunday, Fox 40 reported.

The suspect was booked into the South Placer Jail “without the possibility of bail” on multiple charges, including attempted murder and inflicting corporal injury, police said.

Source: Fox News National

Two parents in northern California have been arrested for child endangerment after authorities allegedly found their two toddler sons inside cages bolted to a bedroom wall.

Modoc County Sheriff Tex Dowdy said Tuesday that deputies arrested 25-year-old Ramon Zendejas and his girlfriend, 25-year-old Mercadies Williams on Friday on illegal firearms possession and child endangerment charges.

Both are now in the Modoc County Jail held on $10,000 bail each, Action News Now reported.

Deputies in California found boys under the age of 2 inside two cribs that were stacked on top of each other and attached to the wall. (Modoc County Sheriff’s Office)

Deputies in California found boys under the age of 2 inside two cribs that were stacked on top of each other and attached to the wall. (Modoc County Sheriff’s Office)

According to reports, Dowdy said deputies went to the home in Tulelake to execute a search warrant for illegal firearms when they found the boys, both under 2, inside two cribs that were stacked on top of each other and attached to the wall.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

He said deputies also found three guns, ammunition and evidence of a butane honey oil lab.

The boys were turned over to social services.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Frank Miles is a reporter and editor covering geopolitics, military, crime, technology and sports for FoxNews.com. His email is [email protected]om.

Source: Fox News National

A former professional hockey player and a mother of two were found dead over the weekend in the athlete’s home in California, officials said.

Wendi Miller, 48, and Darren Partch, 38, were discovered at Partch’s condominium in Newport Beach, according to online records from the Orange County Coroner’s Office.

WOMAN INDICTED IN 1975 COLD-CASE MURDER OF 16-YEAR-OLD GEORGIA GIRL DIES BEFORE TRIAL

Around 9:30 p.m. on Sunday, the Newport Beach Police Department received a call to the home, where the two were found.

In a news release on Monday, authorities said that the situation is being investigated as a homicide, but did not reveal further information about how they were killed or what their relationship was.

Wendi Miller, 48, and Darren Partch, 38, were found dead in his home in Newport Beach, California, on Sunday, officials said.

Wendi Miller, 48, and Darren Partch, 38, were found dead in his home in Newport Beach, California, on Sunday, officials said. (YouTube/Facebook)

Partch spent years playing professional hockey as a forward for teams including the Waterloo Black Hawks and San Diego Gulls, according to Hockeydb.com.

Miller was the CEO of Wings for Justice, a nonprofit organization that advocates on behalf of children in the criminal justice system. Her online bio states she spent her life devoting “herself to the healing and edification of children, adults, and families,” and spent more than 12 years working as a licensed psychologist in California and Michigan.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Luke Carpenter, identified by The Mercury News as Miller’s son, wrote on Facebook that his mother was fatally shot. He added, “It was told to us that she did not suffer. The police are still investigating all the details.”

“I have no doubt in my mind that she was loved on earth and I’m happy that she gets to be loved even better in heaven. I love you mom,” Miller’s son said.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Newport Beach Detective Rick Henry at 949-644-3797.

Source: Fox News National


Current track

Title

Artist