The 45th president was Letterman’s guest more than 30 times between ‘Late Night WQith David Letterman’ and ‘The Late Show With David Letterman.’
David Letterman enjoyed having Donald Trump appear as a guest on the late-night talk shows he hosted for 33 years, NBC’s Late Night With David Letterman (1982-1993) and CBS’ The Late Show With David Letterman (1993-2015), but the current host of Netflix’s My Next Guest Needs No Introduction is no longer a fan of the New York mogul who became the 45th president. This much was made abundantly clear during a rare interview that Letterman granted to The Hollywood Reporter‘s ‘Awards Chatter’ podcast.
“More than 30?” Letterman exclaimed in disbelief when told how many times Trump was his guest. “Wow! You’re welcome, America.” Turning serious, the 72-year-old said, “I think he just liked being on TV. I had no sense that he was the soulless bastard that he’s turned into.”
Letterman continued, “Everybody says, ‘Oh, wouldn’t you like to talk to Donald Trump [today]?’ And I would. I would just like to say, ‘Don, it’s Dave. Remember me? I want to talk to the real Donald Trump.’ Because I now don’t know which is the real Donald Trump, and if the Donald Trump that I was talking to [back then] was the real Donald Trump, how do you get to be the guy he is now? Politics notwithstanding — let’s just say everything is great and he’s done a great job, but he still behaves the way he behaves — who behaves like that?!”
Letterman went on to emphasize, “He used to be kind of like the boob of New York that pretended to be wealthy, or we thought was wealthy, and now he’s just a psychotic. Is that putting too fine a point on it?” He added, “I don’t even care if it’s recorded, I would just like to talk to the guy, because, as I said before, he knows me, I know him — what the hell went wrong?!”
You can listen to audio of the full conversation below.
GUEST // (OTP/Skype) // TOPICS:
Source: The War Room
As the nation’s capital and cities from Boston to West Hollywood, Calif., prepare for gay pride events this weekend, the White House is committing to President Trump’s recent embrace of LGBT Pride Month. But Trump is having a hard time winning over skeptics.
After two years of silence, Trump last week became the first GOP president to recognize the month, with a call for the global decriminalization of homosexuality.
….on the basis of their sexual orientation. My Administration has launched a global campaign to decriminalize homosexuality and invite all nations to join us in this effort!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 31, 2019
Aide Kellyanne Conway amplified his stance, calling him the first president to take office “approving of gay marriage.”
But the left-leaning Human Rights Campaign denounced Trump’s words as “propaganda” that belied negative actions by his administration, including Trump’s transgender military ban and rollback of anti-discrimination rules.
Others expressed doubts about Trump’s sincerity, including former Rep. Robert Bauman, R-Md., who was outed as gay in 1980 before losing reelection.
“I assume someone calculated on his part that it’s beneficial politically,” Bauman told the Washington Examiner.
Bauman said Trump was the first Republican candidate for president he did not vote for — over policies unrelated to gay rights — and that Trump “was for abortion before he was against abortion,” and may be similarly fickle in his latest remarks.
The former Republican congressman, who authored a 1986 book about being a gay conservative, said he opposes Trump because of “his disregard for the Constitution that he doesn’t seem to know anything about” and the fact that he “conducts his administration as though he is a dictator.”
The White House defended Trump’s sincerity. White House spokesman Judd Deere said in a statement that Trump has always “opposed discrimination of any kind” against gay and transgender people and “never considered LGBT Americans second class citizens.”
“Donald Trump, as a private citizen and as president, has stood strong with a message of inclusion and advocated for the equal treatment of all, including the LGBT community,” Deere said, calling Trump “the first U.S. President in our history to favor same-sex marriage when he was sworn in.”
Former President Barack Obama opposed legal recognition of same-sex marriage until 2012. Hillary Clinton dropped her opposition in 2013.
Trump, meanwhile, has many enthusiastic gay supporters. As a candidate, he posed with a rainbow flag. During an April visit to Texas, a supporter watched his motorcade with a rainbow flag in one hand and a Trump reelection flag in the other. A woman photo-bombing a New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio press conference in Trump Tower last month held a flag saying “LGBT for Trump.”
But Trump’s choice of Mike Pence as vice president upset gay activists. Trump reportedly joked that Pence “wants to hang” gay people. And despite saying as a candidate that he didn’t care which Trump Tower bathroom transgender Caitlyn Jenner used, he abruptly ordered a transgender military ban in 2017.
And while Trump recognized the month in tweets and a supplementary White House statement, he has not issued a formal proclamation, as did Obama.
In a recent series of events, however, Trump’s gay ambassador to Germany, Richard Grenell, launched a campaign to persuade other countries to legalize homosexuality, and Trump said in a Fox News interview that “it’s good” to see Democratic presidential candidate and South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg campaign with his husband.
Bauman said Trump’s recent remarks are unlikely to have a political effect. He believes most voters will overlook gay rights as their primary voting concern, as he did for years when the Republican Party took a more hostile stance.
“I don’t think he gets very many gay votes,” Bauman said. “I don’t think Trump could do anything that could convert gay people on the Left that oppose him. They are dissatisfied for other issues.”
Bauman added he doesn’t believe Trump’s embrace means an end to culture-war tensions over homosexuality.
“Trump is not a bellwether for society. He is an aberration,” Bauman said.
The first report of the impact on the bipartisan criminal justice reform package pushed by top Trump aide Jared Kushner shows that it is working to cut sentences, especially for black prisoners.
According to the just-released report on the First Step Act of 2018, the U.S. Sentencing Commission said 1,051 requests for a reduced sentence were granted in just the first four months since it was signed into law by President Trump in December.
And overall, the average decrease was 73 month said the report, titled U.S. Sentencing Commission First Step Act of 2018 Resentencing Provisions Retroactivity Data Report.
What’s more, said the commission, 91.3% of those granted a cut in prison time were African American and virtually all, 98%, were men.
The key findings highlighted by the commission:
- 1,051 motions were granted for a reduced sentence.
- 78.9% of granted motions were made by the defendant, 11.8% by the attorney for the government, and 9.3% by the court.
- Offenders received an average decrease of 73 months (29.4%) in their sentence.
- The original average sentence was 239 months.
- The new average sentence was 166 months.
The legislation generally shortens some drug sentences and expands rehab programs in prison, and only targets federal sentences. States are now following suit to pass reforms.
Criminal justice reform was one of Kushner’s biggest victories and one in which he pulled together a bipartisan coalition on Capitol Hill, the media and even in Hollywood where celebrities including Kanye West endorsed it.
It also helped the Fraternal Order of Police backed it. On Thursday, Trump nominated the president of FOP to head the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.
Alan Dershowitz is a prominent attorney in the United States with a history of representing both accused and convicted wealthy sex offenders. Some of his high-profile cases include defending convicted billionaire pedophile, Jeffery Epstein and accused Hollywood rapist, Harvey Weinstein.
Dershowitz was a member of Epstein’s legal defense team when he was given a sweetheart deal by then U.S. Attorney Alex Acosta—now Trump’s Labor Secretary—and sentenced to just 13 months in work release despite the mountain of evidence against him.
As TFTP has reported, Epstein is a convicted child molester and sexually abused no less than 40 underage girls. Despite this fact, Acosta protected him while serving as a U.S. Attorney in Florida. Dershowitz played a huge role in the deal.
Now, after multiple revelations have come to light, a new victim has gone public in the Epstein case, filing a sworn affidavit in federal court in New York on Tuesday.
Maria Farmer swore to the court that while she was employed by Epstein, she frequently saw “school-age girls’’ wearing uniforms come into the mansion and go upstairs. Farmer also claimed that she and her then-15-year-old sister were sexually assaulted by Epstein and his companion, Ghislaine Maxwell.
Farmer said she reported the abuse to both the FBI and the NYPD when it occurred in 1996, but neither agencies acted.
“To my knowledge, I was the first person to report Maxwell and Epstein to the FBI. It took a significant amount of bravery for me to make that call because I knew how incredibly powerful and influential both Epstein and Maxwell were, particularly in the art community,’’ she wrote, noting that she was an art student at the time.
Farmer’s affidavit is now part of a move to go after the man who defended Epstein and who is also accused of partaking in the child sex trafficking, Alan Dershowitz.
Source: The Washington Pundit
VAN NUYS — The Los Angeles Police Department’s Van Nuys Division on Friday, March 1, circulated a photo of a human trafficking suspect who frequents the Hollywood and North Hollywood areas and asked for the public’s help in locating him and possible victims.
Vice detectives began an investigation after a woman about 20 years old walked into the Van Nuys station at around 8 p.m. on Feb. 20 to report she had been a victim of human trafficking, according to the LAPD.
She said the suspect had loaned her some money and alleged he forced her into prostitution to repay the loan.
“The suspect knew the victim’s financial struggles and coerced her to continue to work as a prostitute,” according to an LAPD statement. “When she refused, the suspect escalated his aggression, causing the victim to fear for her safety.”
The suspect was described as black, 27 years old and 5 feet, 10 inches tall, weighing about 165 pounds. He has black hair styled in long dreads, brown eyes and tattoos on both arms, according to the LAPD.
Anyone with information about the suspect was asked to call the LAPD’s Van Nuys station at (818) 374-9500.
Source: The Washington Pundit
72nd Cannes Film Festival – Closing ceremony – Cannes, France, May 25, 2019. Director Bong Joon-ho, Palme d’Or award winner for his film “Parasite” (Gisaengchung), reacts. REUTERS/Stephane Mahe
May 26, 2019
By Sarah White and Johnny Cotton
CANNES, France (Reuters) – “Parasite”, a wickedly humorous suspense movie about class struggles directed by South Korea’s Bong Joon-Ho, won the top Palme d’Or prize at the Cannes Film Festival on Saturday, on a big night for newcomer filmmakers too.
Bong, who made his mark at Cannes in 2017 with Netflix-produced “Okja”, is the first South Korean to nab the award at the world’s biggest cinema showcase.
The festival also shone a light on a debut feature-length movie by Franco-Senegalese director Mati Diop, whose haunting migrant tale “Atlantics” clinched the runner-up Grand Prix award.
The unanimous decision to crown “Parasite” partly came down to its unexpected mash-up of genres, this year’s jury president, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, the Mexican maker of “Birdman”, told reporters.
It was up against films by a whole cast of industry heavyweights, including Quentin Tarantino’s latest opus, “Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.”
Set in modern South Korea, “Parasite” follows a down-on-its-luck family of four who worm their way into jobs in a wealthy household. The darkly comic tale doubles up as a thriller, with flashes of violence.
Bong told Reuters that his film – which pokes fun at the affluent mother gushing about her art genius son, or at a family in a cramped flat trying to capture the Wi-Fi signal off their neighbors – reflected “the reality of the times.”
“I really respect films that deal with heavy political issues very seriously but I much prefer to mix that with humor,” Bong said.
“While they’re laughing I want them to be hit like a hidden blade behind their pocket when they’re not expecting it.”
The award adds to a successful run at the French cinema showcase for Asian films after Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda got the prestigious gong last year.
With four female directors in contention for the Palme d’Or this year out of 21 entries – at a time when filmmakers are pushing for more gender equality in the industry – it was Diop who made a splash in the end.
“Atlantics” is a ghost story that turns the spotlight on the women who are left behind as their partners and loved ones set off from Dakar on a perilous sea crossing.
Diop, the first black woman ever to vie for the top Cannes award, said it was not foremost in her mind after her win but added that the recognition was symbolically important.
“It doesn’t really belong to me but I’m OK to be that person, to be that woman,” Diop said.
French director Celine Sciamma won a prize for best screenplay for her lesbian love story “Portrait Of A Lady On Fire.”
Spain’s Antonio Banderas won the male acting prize for his role as a tortured filmmaker in Pedro Almodovar’s loosely biographical “Pain And Glory”.
He dedicated his award to Almodovar, who was hotly tipped for recognition but still has never won the Palme D’Or.
“It is a shared prize. Not only just because I’ve been directed by him, because it’s the eighth movie we’ve done together… but because I play him,” Banderas told Reuters, adding that “99.9 percent” of his character was based on the filmmaker.
Britain’s Emily Beecham won best actress after starring in Jessica Hausner’s “Little Joe” as a botanist who starts having doubts about her latest genetically modified creation.
MACRON TO SEE MOVIE
French director Ladj Ly’s first film, “Les Miserables”, a timely tale of police violence, got the Jury Prize – effectively the bronze medal – alongside “Bacurau”, a Brazilian movie by co-directors Kleber Mendonca Filho and Juliano Dornelles.
Ly had called on French President Emmanuel Macron to watch his film after it screened at the festival, saying his thriller about a chaotic police patrol could provide an insight into a wave of demonstrations in France over the past six months.
He told reporters on Saturday that Macron had responded and that the film crew was going to organize a screening at the Elysee Palace.
The prize for “Bacurau” caps a successful Cannes for Brazilian films after another entry from the country won the second-tier “Un Certain Regard” competition on Friday.
Filmmakers there have warned about tough times ahead for the Brazilian movie industry, after far-right President Jair Bolsonaro said he would battle “cultural Marxism” and reduced the remit of Brazil’s culture ministry.
“Over the last 15 years there was a very slow build-up of interesting ideas and funding to support Brazilian film production. Now we don’t really know what’s going to happen,” Mendonca said. “The fact that these films are doing well in Cannes is important.”
Among other prizes, Belgian filmmaking duo Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne jointly won the best director prize for their movie about a radicalized teen, “Young Ahmed”.
(Additional reporting by Hanna Rantala and Reuters TV, Editing by Inti Landauro and Dan Grebler)
Voight, one of the very few outspoken conservative actors in Hollywood, spoke directly to the “people of the Republican Party.”
“I know that you’ll agree with me when I say that our president has our utmost respect and our love,” Voight began. “This job is not easy for he’s battling the left and their absurd words of destruction. … Our nation has been built on the solid ground from our forefathers and there is a moral code of duty that has been passed on from President Lincoln.”
The Academy Award-winning actor told his followers that he wanted to “acknowledge the truth” that “our country is stronger, safer, and with more jobs” because President Trump “has made every move correct.”
“Don’t be fooled by the political left because we are the people of this nation that is witnessing triumph,” Voight continued. “So let us stand with our president, let us stand for this truth that President Trump is the greatest president since Abraham Lincoln. God bless America.”
Voight is best known for his lead role as Joe Buck in the 1969 film “Midnight Cowboy.” His decades-long career includes movie roles in “Deliverance,” “Mission: Impossible,” “Anaconda,” “Zoolander,” and “Transformers” as well as television roles in “24” and “Ray Donovan.”