Apr 18, 2019; Winnipeg, Manitoba, CAN; Winnipeg Jets defenseman Dmitry Kulikov (5) checks St. Louis Blues left wing Jaden Schwartz (17) in the first period in game five of the first round of the 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs at Bell MTS Place. Mandatory Credit: James Carey Lauder-USA TODAY Sports
April 19, 2019
Jaden Schwartz scored with 15 seconds remaining in the third period Thursday as the St. Louis Blues recorded the fifth straight road win in their Western Conference first-round series with a 3-2 victory over the Winnipeg Jets in Game 5.
Tyler Bozak wired a centering feed from along the right-wing boards to Schwartz, who batted the puck out of the air and past Connor Hellebuyck to stun the crowd in Winnipeg. The Blues will look to close out the best-of-seven series at home on Saturday night.
St. Louis overcame a 2-0, third-period deficit as Brayden Schenn collected a goal and an assist and linemate Ryan O’Reilly scored on the power play. Rookie Jordan Binnington finished with 29 saves for the Blues.
Winnipeg’s Adam Lowry scored 12 seconds into the contest and Kevin Hayes also tallied in the first period.
Hurricanes 2, Capitals 1
Petr Mrazek made 30 saves as Carolina evened the series against Washington with a victory in Raleigh, N.C.
Warren Foegele, who scored on the game’s first shift, and Teuvo Teravainen notched goals for the Hurricanes, who never trailed for the second straight game.
Alex Ovechkin posted the goal for Washington, which lost T.J. Oshie to a possible arm injury after a hit from behind by Foegele. Capitals coach Todd Reirden later said Oshie “won’t be playing any time soon.”
Sharks 5, Golden Knights 2
Tomas Hertl scored two goals, and Martin Jones made 30 saves as San Jose avoided elimination with a victory over visiting Vegas in Game 5 of a Western Conference quarterfinal series.
The Golden Knights, up 3-2 in the best-of-seven series, will try again to clinch in Game 6 on Sunday in Las Vegas.
Joe Pavelski had a goal and an assist, and Logan Couture and Barclay Goodrow also scored goals for San Jose. Jonathan Marchessault and Reilly Smith scored for the Golden Knights.
–Field Level Media
FILE PHOTO – Jose Munoz, chief performance officer at Nissan Motor Limited, responds to a question on the new Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance venture capital fund during roundtable with journalists at the 2018 CES in Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S. January 9, 2018. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
April 19, 2019
(Reuters) – Hyundai Motor Co has named Jose Munoz – previously seen as an ally of Nissan Motor’s ousted chairman Carlos Ghosn and his potential successor as CEO – as global chief operating officer and head of operations in the Americas.
Munoz was cited as a “person of interest” in Nissan’s widening internal investigation into corporate governance following Ghosn’s arrest on suspicion of financial misconduct. Ghosn denies wrongdoing while Munoz has not commented publicly on the matter.
Munoz resigned from Nissan in January having been chief performance officer and head of the Japanese automaker’s China operations. He previously oversaw Nissan’s North American operations.
The appointment marks the latest management shake-up at Hyundai’s U.S. operations as the South Korean automaker pushes to rejuvenate sales in the world’s second-biggest auto market and grapples with a widening probe into its vehicle recalls.
Munoz will take over from William Lee, who has been in charge of Hyundai’s North America business since June. From May 1, he will effectively assume two newly created positions – Global Chief Operating Officer and Head of Hyundai Motor Americas Region.
“(Munoz’s) focus will be to deliver profitable growth and to improve overall performance of Hyundai Motor,” the company said in a statement issued on Thursday in the United States.
He will be based in California and report to “top leadership” in Seoul, Hyundai said.
The appointment marks the latest foreign executive to be brought in to an automaker dominated by South Korean lifers, under group heir-apparent and Executive Vice Chairman Euisun Chung.
Munoz, 53, joined Nissan in 2004 in Europe and led its expansion in North America after the global financial crisis. Since then, Nissan has raised its market share in the United States and posted record sales.
Hyundai was an outperformer during the 2009 global economic downturn but has seen its market share slip in recent years, hit by its delayed response to growing sport utility vehicle demand.
The automaker has been recovering slowly, with its U.S. sales rising 2 percent in January-March period from a year prior.
(Reporting by Hyunjoo Jin in SEOUL and Sanjana Shivdas in BENGALURU; Editing by Christopher Cushing)
LAS VEGAS – Two former investment executives from Japan who appeared in court in Las Vegas are facing criminal fraud charges in what prosecutors call a $1.5 billion international Ponzi scheme.
Seventy-year-old Junzo Suzuki and his 40-year-old son, Paul Suzuki, pleaded not guilty Thursday and a federal magistrate set a hearing next Wednesday to decide if they’ll be freed from custody pending trial.
Their attorneys, Richard Wright and Junji Suzuki, declined to comment. Junji Suzuki said he is not related to the defendants.
Junzo and Paul Suzuki were arrested in Japan in January, two months after a federal jury in Las Vegas found their 72-year-old co-defendant, Edwin Fujinaga, guilty of fraud and money laundering.
Prosecutors say their company, MRI International Inc., had thousands of Japanese victims.
Source: Fox News National
FILE PHOTO: The marquee sign at Caesars Palace hotel is seen on the strip in Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S. February 16, 2011. REUTERS/Steve Marcus/File Photo
April 16, 2019
(Reuters) – U.S. casino operator Caesars Entertainment Corp, which has been under pressure from activist investor Carl Icahn to sell itself, on Tuesday named Anthony Rodio as its chief executive officer.
Reuters reported in February that Icahn had proposed Rodio, CEO of privately held casino gaming company Affinity Gaming, as successor to Mark Frissora, who was due to step down as Caesars CEO.
Rodio was previously CEO of Tropicana Entertainment Inc, another casino and resort operator that Icahn sold last year to peer Eldorado Resorts Inc for $1.85 billion.
Caesars on Tuesday also said it had formed a ‘transaction committee’ to oversee the company’s ongoing efforts in “creating additional shareholder value”.
The formation of such a committee by Caesars comes after the casino operator in March struck a deal with Icahn to appoint three new directors to its board, as the billionaire investor continued to press for a sale of the company.
Icahn has gradually built a stake in Caesars this year and, as of March 28, owned about 15 percent of the company.
Rodio will be transitioning to Caesars during the next thirty days, the company said.
(Reporting by Ankit Ajmera in Bengaluru; Editing by Shailesh Kuber)
Golf – Masters – Augusta National Golf Club – Augusta, Georgia, U.S. – April 14, 2019. Spectators applaud as Tiger Woods of the U.S. celebrates on the 18th hole to win the 2019 Masters. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst
April 16, 2019
(Reuters) – A Wisconsin man who bet $85,000 on Tiger Woods to win the Masters was handed a check for $1.275 million by bookmaker William Hill on Monday.
A day after Woods came from behind to win his first major title in 11 years, a video circulating online showed James Adducci picking up his check at SLS Las Vegas Hotel & Casino.
The 39-year-old told Golf Digest that the 14-1 bet was his first sports wager. The stockbroker, who works from home, said he planned to spend the winnings on home improvements and paying off debts while investing the rest.
Reports said the net $1.19 million payout was the largest for a single ticket golf bet in the company’s history in the United States.
“Pretty good first bet,” Nick Bogdanovich, William Hill’s U.S. director of trading, told ESPN.
“It’s great to see Tiger back. It’s a painful day for William Hill — our biggest loss ever — but a great day for golf.”
William Hill was not the only bookmaker to feel the pain after the 43-year-old Woods secured his fifth green jacket at Augusta National.
SuperBook at Westgate Las Vegas had a “high five-figure” net loss on its Masters futures, and offshore sportsbook BetOnline.ag said the surprise win produced the company’s biggest loss on a futures market, ESPN said.
(Reporting by Rory Carroll; Editing by Peter Rutherford)
FILE PHOTO: Ice Hockey – 2018 IIHF World Championships – Group A – Russia v Slovakia – Royal Arena – Copenhagen, Denmark – May 14, 2018 – Nikita Gusev of Russia in action. REUTERS/Grigory Dukor/FIle Photo
April 14, 2019
Nikita Gusev, the reigning MVP of the Kontinental Hockey League, is joining the Vegas Golden Knights for their playoff run.
He signed a one-year, entry-level contract with the Golden Knights on Sunday and is expected to practice with the team on Monday.
Vegas and the San Jose Sharks were tied 1-1 in their best-of-7 series entering Sunday’s Game 3 in Las Vegas.
“He’ll join our group (Monday) and we’ll see where it goes,” Golden Knights coach Gerard Gallant told reporters. “I’m not going to make any promises either way. We’ll see what happens. I like our team. I’ve liked our team all year. If we think we need him to put in the lineup, we’ll see where it goes.”
Gusev, 26, has been on the roster of SKA St. Petersburg since the 2015-16 season. He led the league in scoring this season with 82 points (17 goals, 65 assists). He was released from his contract this week after SKA St. Petersburg was eliminated in the KHL conference finals.
He has played nine seasons in the KHL and was part of Russia’s gold-medal team in the 2018 Winter Olympics.
The Tampa Bay Lightning drafted him in the seventh round of the 2012 NHL Draft. Vegas acquired his rights in a trade with Tampa Bay during the 2017 NHL Expansion Draft.
–Field Level Media
More than a million high-capacity ammunition magazines flooded into California during a one-week window created when a federal judge temporarily threw out the state’s ban, gun owners’ groups estimated Thursday.
Reform groups said the projections are self-serving as gun rights organizations try to make the case that magazines holding more than 10 bullets are so common now that a ban is impractical.
The magazines aren’t tracked. But there are plenty of anecdotal indications that the floodgates briefly opened when U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez overturned the state’s nearly 20-year-old ban late last month.
The judge halted sales a week later, but ruled that those who bought the magazines can legally own them while the state appeals his ruling.
“Everything was all sold out. I basically took whatever I could get,” said Chris Puehse, who owns Foothill Ammo in Shingle Springs, east of Sacramento.
He fielded dozens of telephone calls while buyers stacked up 20 deep in his one-man store to buy the hundreds of magazines that arrived in two shipments last week. He had just six left by the time Benitez reinstated the ban last Friday.
“People loved it. It was like we were out of prison and were not treated like bastard stepchildren of the country anymore,” he said.
Thirty-round magazines for military-style rifles, handgun magazines holding 17 to 20 bullets, all selling for less than $30 each — “they disappeared,” Puehse said. “They wanted to grab more than I let them, otherwise they would have been gone even faster than a few hours.”
State Attorney General Xavier Becerra warned hours before Benitez again halted sales that California was in danger of becoming “the wild, wild West for high-capacity magazines.”
“There are those who are now trying to flood the state of California with what were until this decision illegal high-capacity magazines, the type of magazines that are used in firearms to commit the mass shootings that we’ve seen throughout the country,” Becerra said.
Ruger Firearms announced it was releasing its entire inventory. South Carolina-based Palmetto State Armory announced in a Facebook ad that it was “prepared to send a whole lot of freedom to our friends in California,” but warned of delays due to high demand.
“The pipeline was open and it was flowing, on all platforms — people showing up (in stores), online — I’m guessing that UPS and FedEx had a field day,” said Gun Owners of California president Sam Paredes. “It was a frenzy.”
He said an estimate of a million magazines “seems a little bit low.”
Chuck Michel, an attorney for the National Rifle Association and the California Rifle & Pistol Association, has a photograph of empty racks at a Bass Pro Shops store in Las Vegas that used to hold magazines before Californians flocked to the neighboring state to stock up. California’s more than 2.5 million gun owners together have nearly 20 million guns, many of which can use the extended magazines.
By week’s end, Michel said, “you couldn’t get one anywhere, because all that inventory had been diverted to California. That’s probably at least a million magazines, probably approaching two to several hundred thousand people.”
Staff attorneys with the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence in San Francisco said they’ve seen no evidence to back up the million-magazine estimate, and said gun rights organizations have a vested interest in inflating the number of law-abiding owners.
“They have a very specific purpose and intent here to try to set up for the court that these are devices that are very commonly used and possessed” and therefore should not be banned again, said California legislative affairs director Ari Freilich.
“It lets them argue that there’s no way to un-ring the bell,” added litigation director Hannah Shearer.
The problem isn’t the new owners who will use them legally for target shooting or self-defense, they said: it’s that some will fall into the hands of criminals or be used by mass shooters.
The magazines allow shooters to fire more bullets without stopping to reload. Gun owners’ organizations — and Judge Benitez — said that’s helpful to ward off multiple home invaders, but opponents said it gives victims less time to escape or tackle a mass shooter as he reloads.
Reformers expect the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to keep the ban on sales while reinstating a 2016 law and ballot measure banning possession even by those who own them legally.
Opponents are counting on the U.S. Supreme Court to ultimately side with Benitez’s ruling that the bans infringe on the Second Amendment right to bear arms.
“Because of that one slip-up, in one week you literally had millions of magazines come into the state that were bought legally,” said Puehse, the gun shop owner. “These magazines are here to stay.”
Source: NewsMax America
FILE PHOTO: Notre Dame Fighting Irish running back Cierre Wood runs a play as quarterback Everett Golson (back) watches during practice for the NCAA college football 2013 Discover BCS National Championship game in Davie, Florida January 4, 2013. REUTERS/Jeff Haynes
April 11, 2019
Former NFL and Notre Dame running back Cierre Wood was scheduled to appear in court Thursday in Las Vegas after being charged with first-degree murder in the death of a 5-year-old girl, according to court records.
The alleged victim was the daughter of Wood’s girlfriend, identified by local media as 26-year-old Amy Taylor, who also was taken into custody Tuesday night at Summerlin Hospital.
The Clark County Coroner’s Office confirmed 5-year-old La’Ravah Davis died at the hospital that night, KVVU-TV in Las Vegas reported.
Wood, 28, played in seven games in the NFL from 2013-15, carrying the ball five times for 12 yards. He was mostly on the practice squads in Houston, Buffalo, New England and Seattle. He also had three stops in the Canadian Football League after the NFL.
At Notre Dame, where he played from 2010-12, he rushed for 16 touchdowns and 2,447 yards in his career. He also had 52 receptions for 384 yards and two scores.
–Field Level Media