border crisis

Spread the love

L PASO, Texas (AP) — The Trump administration is facing growing complaints from migrants about severe overcrowding, meager food and other hardships at border holding centers, with some people at an encampment in El Paso being forced to sleep on the bare ground during dust storms.

The Border Network for Human Rights issued a report Friday based on dozens of testimonials of immigrants over the past month and a half, providing a snapshot of cramped conditions and prolonged stays in detention amid a record surge of migrant families coming into the U.S. from Central America.

The report comes a day after an advocate described finding a teenage mother cradling a premature baby inside a Border Patrol processing center in Texas. The advocate said the baby should have been in a hospital, not a facility where adults are kept in large fenced-in sections that critics describe as cages.

The state of human rights in the U.S.-Mexico borderlands is grave and is only getting worse,” the immigrant rights group said in its report. “People are dying because of what is happening.”

Five immigrant children have died since late last year after being detained by the Border Patrol, including a flu-stricken teenager who was found dead in a facility migrants refer to as the “icebox” because of the temperatures inside.

Customs and Border Protection responded to the complaints by saying: “Allegations are not facts. If there is an issue it is best to contact CBP directly. In many cases the matter can be resolved immediately.”

The agency also cited its response to a critical inspector general’s report last month, in which it said the government is devoted to treating migrants in its custody “with the utmost dignity and respect.”

The Trump administration has blamed the worsening crisis on inaction by Congress.

Many of the complaints center on El Paso, where the inspector general found severe overcrowding inside a processing center. A cell designed for a dozen people was crammed with 76, and migrants had to stand on the toilets.

With indoor facilities overcrowded, the Border Patrol has kept some immigrants outside and in tents near a bridge in El Paso with nothing but a Mylar foil blanket. Others have been kept in an empty parking lot, where migrants huddled underneath tarps and foil blankets repurposed as shade covers against the sweltering heat.

A professor who visited two weeks ago said it resembled a “human dog pound.” The Border Patrol responded by adding additional shade structures, but migrants are still kept outside in temperatures approaching 100 degrees.

Read More

Image credit: Joe Raedle- Getty Images

Source: The Washington Pundit

Spread the love

Albuquerque, NM – The State of New Mexico and the sanctuary city of Albuquerque have filed a lawsuit against the Trump Administration for releasing too many immigrants into the state’s border cities.

The lawsuit, which was filed in U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico on Monday, alleged that President Trump’s administration has enacted an “indiscriminate practice of releasing migrants in communities,” in violation of the federal “safe release” policy, KVIA reported.

The federal “safe release” policy was canceled in October of 2018 due to the massive wave of immigrants who flooded over the U.S. southern border from Central America.

That policy provided those seeking asylum with assistance in getting to their final destinations while they were waiting for their claims to be processed, KVIA reported.

“[The] sudden and unlawful abandonment of this policy was done without notice or opportunity for input by affected jurisdictions,” the lawsuit alleged.

The sanctuary city and the State of New Mexico has also demanded to be reimbursed for the funds it has shelled out to temporarily shelter immigrants.

The lawsuit alleges that the financial burden was caused by the federal government’s “derogation of duty to administer this country’s immigration system and claims of asylum,” KVIA reported.

New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham further complained that the government’s “quick release” policy is “leaving vulnerable individuals and families without assistance and burdening local governments as well as nonprofit organizations.”

Read More

Source: The Washington Pundit

Spread the love

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — California will become the first state in the country to pay for some adults living in the country illegally to have full health benefits as the solidly liberal state continues to distance itself from President Trump’s administration.

Democrats in the state Legislature reached an agreement Sunday afternoon as part of a broader plan to spend $213 billion of state and federal tax money over the next year. The agreement means low-income adults between the ages of 19 and 25 living in California illegally would be eligible for California’s Medicaid program, the joint state and federal health insurance program for the poor and disabled.

Not everyone in that age group would get the health benefits, but only those whose incomes are low enough to qualify for the program. State officials estimate that will be about 90,000 people at a cost of $98 million per year.

The move is part of a larger effort to make sure everyone in California has health insurance. The proposal also makes California the first state in the country to help middle-income families pay their monthly health insurance premiums. The agreement means a family of four earning as much as six times the federal poverty level – or more than $150,000 a year – would be eligible to get about $100 a month from the government to help pay their monthly health insurance premiums.

But to pay for part of it, the state will begin taxing people who don’t have health insurance. It’s a revival of the individual mandate penalty that had been law nationwide under former President Barack Obama’s health care law until Republicans in Congress eliminated it as part of the 2017 overhaul to the tax code.

Read More

Image credit: AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli

Source: The Washington Pundit

Spread the love

Open borders advocates are panicking after the arrest of Irieno Mujihca, the leader of Pueblo Sin Fronteras, a pro-open borders group funded by globalist financier George Soros that has worked to undermine United States immigration policy and sponsor Central American caravans.

Michelle Malkin wrote on Twitter that “Open Borders Inc. enablers,” are in a state of “panic over reported arrest of Pueblo Sin Fronteras leader Irieno Mujihca”, and another open borders advocate.

Malkin quoted Ruben Figueroa, who considers himself a “Defender of Human Rights of Migrants”. Figueroa wrote a panic-stricken tweet, translated from Spanish,

“#ALERT: The arrest of human rights defenders [who are] pro-migrants, Irineo Mujica and Cristóbal Sánchez, is confirmed.”

Open borders zealots have good reason to be concerned. Big League Politics has reported extensively on Pueblo Sin Fronteras, which translates to People Without Borders, and their connections with the globalist banking system and Soros.

In January, Pueblo Sin Fronteras was instrumental in organizing the Honduran migrant caravan that attempted to illegally cross into the United States. They did so with the help of Soros’s seemingly bottomless checkbook.

Big League Politics reported:

George Soros’ money pays a parent group of Pueblo Sin Fronteras, the official organizer of the illegal immigrant Caravan headed to the U.S.-Mexico border. Soros also funds a Pueblo Sin Fronteras spokeswoman’s employer, according to records obtained by Big League Politics courtesy of independent researcher Brian Humphrey.

The group Centro Sin Fronteras, a parent group to caravan organizer Pueblo Sin Fronteras, is reportedly a “mainstay” of the caravan effort. The Centro has received funding from the George Soros-financed National Immigration Forum.

A Pueblo Sin Fronteras spokeswoman and organizer, Viridiana Vidal, is the Nevada state director for America’s Voice, which has been paid consulting fees by the George Soros-funded Immigrant Voters Win PAC. That Soros-funded PAC also pays salaries for America’s Voice’s top executives.

Read More

Source: The Washington Pundit

Spread the love

One senator from Mexico wants to deal with the matter by taking over American states.

“It’s very likely that Félix Salgado Macedonio probably wasn’t entirely serious when he took to Twitter on Saturday to propose taking back the territory the United States won in the Mexican-American War back in the 19th century. However, the rhetoric is not what anyone wants to hear — particularly after Macedonio personally insulted Trump even before he went all irredentist,” explains Conservative Tribune.

Translated by Twitter

Read More

Source: The Washington Pundit

Spread the love

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) – Mexico’s president on Saturday hinted his country could tighten migration controls to defuse U.S. President Donald Trump’s threat to impose tariffs on Mexican goods, and said he expected “good results” from talks planned in Washington next week.

Trump says he will apply the tariffs on June 10 if Mexico does not halt the flow of illegal immigration, largely from Central America, across the U.S.-Mexican border.

His ultimatum hit Mexican financial assets and global stocks, but met resistance from U.S. business leaders and lawmakers worried about the impact of targeting Mexico, one of the United States’ top trade partners.

In a news conference in the Gulf of Mexico port of Veracruz, President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said Mexico could be ready to step up measures to contain a recent surge in migration in order to reach a deal with the United States.

A major Mexican delegation led by Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard will discuss the dispute with U.S. officials in Washington on Wednesday, and Lopez Obrador said he expected “good results” from the talks, and for a deal to emerge.

“The main thing is to inform about what we’re already doing on the migration issue, and if it’s necessary to reinforce these measures without violating human rights, we could be prepared to reach that deal,” Lopez Obrador said.

His comments follow those of Jesus Seade, deputy foreign minister for North America, who told Reuters on Friday that Mexico wanted to sharpen existing measures to curb the flow of Central Americans trying to reach U.S. soil.

Trump’s threat to inflict pain on Mexico’s economy is the biggest foreign policy test to date for Lopez Obrador and a tall order for Mexican authorities struggling not only to contain migration but also to fight record gang violence.

Read More

Image Credit: REUTERS/Jose Luis Gonzalez

Source: The Washington Pundit

Spread the love

More than 1,000 migrants were apprehended after illegally crossing the border near El Paso, Texas, early Wednesday morning, according to two U.S. officials and a document obtained by NBC News.

The group of 1,036 is the largest ever encountered by the Border Patrol; the previous record of 424 was set last month.

Customs and Border Protection has noticed a trend in the number of large groups crossing the border together. In fiscal year 2018, border agents encountered 13 groups of more than 100 immigrants. Now, they have seen that same number in a single day, according to Brian Hastings, the chief law enforcement operations directorate for the U.S. Border Patrol.

President Donald Trump told reporters at the White House on Thursday that he will make his “biggest statement on the border” later in the day or on Friday.

The 1,036 immigrants included 934 people traveling in family groups, 63 children traveling alone, 39 single adults and others who had not yet been identified. All of those processed as of Wednesday morning are from the Northern Triangle countries of Central America, with 515 from Guatemala, 135 from Honduras and 76 from El Salvador.

Read more.

Source: The Washington Pundit

Spread the love

A federal judge issued a preliminary injunction on Friday, partially blocking President Trump‘s plan to fund a border wall with Mexico using money from the Defense Department.

California U.S. District Court Judge Haywood Gilliam, who was appointed by former President Obama, issued the order, which does not fully halt construction, but would limit additional border fencing to specific areas. It would also block the transfer of about $1 billion in Pentagon funds from various projects to pay for the construction of a wall. 

Trump made an emergency declaration earlier this year to circumvent Congress and reallocate funding from the Defense Department to begin work on the wall.

The American Civil Liberties Union, which had asked the judge for the injunction in February on behalf of the Sierra Club and The Southern Border Communities Coalition, celebrated its legal victory Friday. 

Read More:
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/445528-federal-judge-partially-blocks-funding-for-trumps-border-wall-report

Image Credit: Getty

Source: The Washington Pundit

Spread the love

MIAMI (AP) — A surge of asylum-seeking families has been straining cities along the southern U.S. border for months, but now the issue is flowing into cities far from Mexico, where immigrants are being housed in an airplane hangar and rodeo fairgrounds and local authorities are struggling to keep up with the influx.

U.S. immigration officials have eyed spots in states like Florida, Michigan and New York, to help process the migrants before they move on to their destination, which could be anywhere in the U.S.

And in border states, cities that are several hours’ drive from Mexico are already seeing sometimes hundreds of migrants a day.

The situation is leaving local authorities and nonprofits with the task of providing shelter for a night or two, a few meals and travel assistance to help migrants reach their final destinations across the U.S.

The issue erupted in political intrigue last week when Democratic strongholds in Florida balked at plans to send migrants to their counties, conjuring images of homeless migrants on the streets.

But elsewhere, cities and states are quietly making arrangements. New Mexico and Colorado reached agreement to drop off some migrants in Denver. A remote desert town in California has helped hundreds reach shelters for short-term stays.

Read More:
https://apnews.com/1c7aec8b18ae4cb3a8ed0a624c641eb9?fbclid=IwAR1RZ01Y3ImpTe4_Ps2g5-y0oKAC9j40BwQLCc7mt-cr6rVgc4PbIUbnHiU

Image Credit: DC Whispers

Source: The Washington Pundit

Spread the love

The battle between sanctuary jurisdictions and the Trump Administration has soared to new heights with a flap over a small regional airport in Washington state.

The King County Airport in Seattle had been used by Immigration and Customs Enforcement to deport 34,000 illegal immigrants over the last decade. But after a politically motivated study done by the University of Washington’s Center for Human Rights, which concluded in its report, “the time has come for this work to be done,” County Executive Dow Constantine issued an order pressuring companies that fuel planes, to stop servicing ICE flights or lose their contracts with the county.

The Federation for American Immigration Reform calls it all-out war against border enforcement. “This is taking it to a new level,” said FAIR’s spokesman Ira Mehlman. “Sanctuary policies say that the local jurisdiction won’t cooperate with ICE. Here (Constantine) is taking it a step further and blacklisting companies that do business with ICE. This crosses the line probably into obstruction of Justice.”

ICE operates the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma, where illegal immigrants are detained while their cases wind their way through the immigration court system. When deporting through the King County Airport, handcuffed detainees were taken on a short, 40-minute bus ride before boarding a charter flight. Now, ICE is driving detainees three hours to the Yakima Airport.

Bryan Wilcox, ICE’s acting field operations director in Seattle, said, “state and local efforts thwarting ICE operations serve only to create additional security concerns and add significant delays and costs to U.S. taxpayers.”

ICE spokesperson Tanya Roman issued a press release detailing some of the illegal immigrants deported with charter flights from the King County Airport. The list includes a Mexican citizen wanted for human trafficking, a Honduran man accused of rape and murder and a Guatemalan man charged with torture and murder.

Continue Reading:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/ice-fights-back-after-county-in-washington-state-blocks-deportations.amp?fbclid=IwAR2VOYUqNImykLCwO9kRB-DbL_h9NHIvaFMz2IORv0v_OJSnkGXlO2e-6Gc

Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Source: The Washington Pundit


[There are no radio stations in the database]