Build The Wall

North Carolina’s freshman Republican Sen. Thom Tillis is almost a cinch to face a primary challenge from the right in 2020.

On Monday morning, supporters of Raleigh businessman Garland Tucker formally filed for the primary race next March. Although Tucker, 71, has yet to formally announce his candidacy, backers of the longtime Tar heel State conservative activist say he is certain to make the race.

“Historic” is by far the best adjective to characterize the pending Tucker-Tillis bout. It will be the first time since 1972 that a sitting senator in North Carolina faced a significant primary challenge and the first-ever primary against a sitting Republican senator.

Earlier this year, Tillis upset conservatives across the state and nationwide by denouncing the President’s proposal to declare a state of emergency to build the wall along the Mexican border.

Faced with an onslaught of criticism from conservatives, Tillis did an about-face and voted with Trump on the emergency issue. Still, many area pundits believe his switching back and forth on such a high-profile issue caused him major political damage.

“This is a classic insider-outsider race,” veteran North Carolina political analyst Marc Rotterman told Newsmax, “K Street, home of the lobbyists, will definitely be with Senator Tillis. So I think it will be a hard sell to position Senator Tillis as pro-Trumper–particularity on the issue of the Border Wall and illegal immigration as well as spending issues.”

Tucker, chairman of the Triangle Capital investment firm, is considered a “traditional conservative” who places a high priority on smaller government and more freedom. He serves on the board of the conservative John Locke Foundation, and has written two books: one on the 1924 election (the last time both major party nominees were strong conservatives) and another with profiles of major conservative leaders.

John Gizzi is chief political columnist and White House correspondent for Newsmax. For more of his reports, Go Here Now.
 

Source: NewsMax Politics

Freshman Sen. Thom Tillis, R-N.C., is almost a cinch to face a primary challenge from the right in 2020.

Supporters of Raleigh businessman Garland Tucker formally filed Monday morning for the primary race next March. Although Tucker, 71, has yet to formally announce his candidacy, backers of the longtime Tar Heel State conservative activist say he is certain to make the race.

“Historic” is by far the best adjective to characterize the pending Tucker-Tillis bout. It will be the first time since 1972 a sitting senator in North Carolina faced a significant primary challenge and the first primary against a sitting Republican senator.

Earlier this year, Tillis upset conservatives across the state and nationwide by denouncing the president’s proposal to declare a state of emergency to build the wall along the Mexican border.

Faced with an onslaught of criticism from conservatives, Tillis did an about-face and voted with Trump on the emergency issue. Still, many area pundits believe his switching back and forth on such a high-profile issue caused him major political damage.

“This is a classic insider-outsider race,” veteran North Carolina political analyst Marc Rotterman told Newsmax. “K Street, home of the lobbyists, will definitely be with Sen. Tillis. So, I think it will be a hard sell to position Sen. Tillis as pro-Trumper – particularity on the issue of the border wall and illegal immigration as well as spending issues.”

Tucker, chairman of the Triangle Capital investment firm, is considered a “traditional conservative” who places a high priority on smaller government and more freedom. He serves on the board of the conservative John Locke Foundation, and has written two books: one on the 1924 election (the last time both major party nominees were strong conservatives) and another with profiles of major conservative leaders.

John Gizzi is chief political columnist and White House correspondent for Newsmax. For more of his reports, Go Here Now.

Source: NewsMax Politics

FILE PHOTO: Migrants from Central America are seen inside an enclosure, where they are being held by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), after crossing the border between Mexico and the United States illegally and turning themselves in to request asy
FILE PHOTO: A man plays gives children rocks to play with inside an enclosure, where they are being held by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), after crossing the border between Mexico and the United States illegally and turning themselves in to request asylum, in El Paso, Texas, U.S., March 29, 2019. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson/File Photo

April 10, 2019

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Acting U.S. Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan has approved a request to identify places to potentially house up to 5,000 unaccompanied migrant children, the Pentagon said on Wednesday.

In March, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) requested Pentagon support to identify locations to house unaccompanied migrant children through Sept. 30.

Migrant arrivals on the U.S. border with Mexico have been building steadily for months, driven by growing numbers of children and families, especially from Central America.

Pentagon spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Jamie Davis told Reuters Shanahan approved that request on Tuesday. Davis said HHS had made no request to actually house the children so far.

President Donald Trump on Tuesday said he was not reviving a policy of separating children from parents who had illegally crossed the U.S.-Mexico border, one day after media reports that his administration was considering putting it back in place.

In February Trump declared a national emergency to help build a border wall, which would allow him to spend money on it that Congress had appropriated for other purposes. Congress declined to fulfill his request for $5.7 billion to help build the wall this year.

The Republican president’s latest pronouncements, including a threat to impose auto tariffs on Mexico, are in response to the rising number of migrants.

Trump has previously turned to the military to help with his border crackdown.

Last year, the U.S. military was asked to house up to 20,000 immigrant children but the space was never used.

Last month the Pentagon said it had shifted $1 billion to plan and build a 57-mile section of “pedestrian fencing,” roads and lighting along the border with Mexico.

There are about 6,000 active duty and National Guard troops near the border.

(Reporting by Idrees Ali and Phil Stewart in Washington; Editing by James Dalgleish)

Source: OANN

The old (bottom R) and the new border fence dividing U.S. and Mexico is seen from Tecate
The old (bottom R) and the new border fence dividing U.S. and Mexico is seen from Tecate, Mexico April 4, 2019. REUTERS/Carlos Jasso

April 5, 2019

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Twenty U.S. states have filed a motion to block President Donald Trump’s method of funding a border wall by diverting federal funds through a national emergency declaration, the New York state attorney general said on Friday.

“This wall is unnecessary, and an abuse of power that will take away resources that could be used to help Americans across our nation,” New York Attorney General Letitia James said on Twitter.

The states filed a lawsuit in February after Trump declared a national emergency to help build a border wall that was a signature of his 2016 campaign for president. The motion for a preliminary injunction to block Trump’s effort that was filed late Thursday formalized that request.

Trump’s order would allow him to spend money on the wall that Congress appropriated for other purposes. Congress declined to fulfill his request for $5.7 billion to help build the wall this year.

(Reporting by Doina Chiacu; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and Jeffrey Benkoe)

Source: OANN

Twenty U.S. states have filed a motion to block President Donald Trump’s method of funding a border wall by diverting federal funds through a national emergency declaration, the New York state attorney general said on Friday.

“This wall is unnecessary, and an abuse of power that will take away resources that could be used to help Americans across our nation,” New York Attorney General Letitia James said on Twitter.

The states filed a lawsuit in February after Trump declared a national emergency to help build a border wall that was a signature of his 2016 campaign for president. The motion for a preliminary injunction to block Trump’s effort that was filed late Thursday formalized that request.

Trump’s order would allow him to spend money on the wall that Congress appropriated for other purposes. Congress declined to fulfill his request for $5.7 billion to help build the wall this year.

Source: NewsMax Politics

Citizen vs City Hall Moment of Silence for Victims of Illegal Immigrants DENIED #BuildThatWall The Speech Peter Boykin gave at Greensboro City Council First of all, I want to acknowledge I was recently retweeted by the City of Greensboro because I stated that Greensboro is the place to live. I mean that, I also live […]

Since the GoFundMe page collecting money for President Donald Trump‘s border wall continues to collect millions of dollars, a few new pages have been set up in response to it. The page “Ladders to Get Over Trump’s Wall” has raised more than $120,000 as of Saturday afternoon, and despite the name, it’s not actually raising money to buy ladders. It is raising […]


Current track

Title

Artist